A few years ago, I remember feeling lucky and blessed for all that was going right in my life, and I expressed my feelings of gratitude to God more often than not. I wasn't even in school yet, hadn't travelled much, and was unsure of which direction my life would take in the next few months - let alone years; and yet it seems that the more I have experienced and accumulated over the years, the more ungrateful I have become, focusing instead on how much more I wish I currently had.
I couldn't possibly count how many messages I have heard or read that encourage people to be more grateful for their blessings; however, every time I hear or read such messages, I never really think they apply to me. I hadn't even realized that I had stopped being grateful! So it really was a surprise when it occurred to me that, despite having more now, I had been more content and grateful when I had less!
Being content isn't as easy as it sounds; on the one hand, I can't deny that I'm sometimes unsatisfied with what I have & where I am in life. The truth is, I do want more. And I don't believe that the desire to have more is wrong - neither do I doubt that God is more than willing to give me (or any of us, for that matter) more. However, even after picturing myself with what I currently want, I realized that I wouldn't be satisfied with it. It was then that it occurred to me that if I can't learn to be happy with what I have now, I probably won't be happy even when I have more.
I also realized that the problem had started with the thoughts I'd allowed myself to think, which in turn affected how I felt. Since then, I have been constantly trying to keep my thoughts in check, and to focus more on how much I have to be grateful for rather than on how much I wish I had. I have also realized that it's necessary and important to be intentional about being grateful; because when we don't do so, we automatically leave room in our minds for ungratefulness to creep in.
With that said, I figured it was time for my next gratitude post! 😃
So here's a list of the things I'm grateful for so far this year:
1. God's guidance and constant reminder to stay focused on the goal whenever I get distracted.🙏
2. I've spent so much more time with my family this year than I did last year. 👨👩👧👦 ❤
3. My health is good - something I must admit I have really been taking for granted. It's taken meeting people battling so many different illnesses for me to realize just how big a deal it is to be in good health.
4. I have grown - not only as a person, but also as an artist (writer, photographer & videographer 😜) - and I'm truly grateful to be becoming more of who I want to be with each passing day.
5. I moved to a different city in the Netherlands (The Hague) which I feel fits better with who I currently am. 😊
6.I have recently met quite a number of people & formed friendships that have positively contributed to my journey.
7. My attitude towards school is changing for the better. I used to freak out like crazy about exams, assignments, deadlines - you name it! But I'm finally getting the hang of it. Yey! 😃
8. My trips to Gran Canaria, Belgium & Greece this year went splendidly well (all of which at some point I didn't think would actually happen). Hurrah!✈💃🎉🎊
How many of you actually take the time to make lists of the things you're grateful for? If you haven't done it before, now is a good time to start. It really makes a huge difference on how you live each and every day. 😉😊
I find it easier and more effective to write down how I feel rather than to say it.
All 1 Kings Afghanistan African Proverb Alcazaba Algarve Artists Asking For Help Ballet Bangkok Beautiful Beauty Bible Calling Canary Islands Chiang Mai Childhood Christianity Church Contentment Creativity Cruise Ship Cube Houses Dance Emotions Estepona Faith Family Family Holiday Feminism Floating Market Florence Focus Foreigner Friendship Gibraltar Grace Gran Canaria Gratitude Greece Greyscale Help Hillsong Hillsong Church Holiday Homesickness Hua Hin Human Interest Island Life Italy John 3:16 Judgemental Kalambaka Kinderdijk King Ahab Lagos Leiden Lido Lisse Love Maastricht Marbella Matthew 5 Metéora Moods Swings Naboth's Vineyard Netherlands New Experience New Year Obedience Personal Growth Perspective Phetchaburi Photography Photo Journal Playa Del Inglés Playing It Safe Ponta Da Piedade Portugal Priorities Profile Story Puerto De Mogan Purpose Rain Photography Real-love Relationships Romantic Relationships Ronda Salema Self Love Sleep Spain SS Rotterdam Stepping Out In Faith Stronger Together Summer Thailand The Power Of Our Actions Thessaloniki Travel Travel Blogger Travelling Travel Vlog Treviso Trikala True Love Tuk Tuk Unity Venice Vision Vulnerability Women Women Empowerment